In this post I will show a little script that allows you to be notified when new content is available on a blog, site... from a list of site. It will allow you to set a list of blog (in an XML file) to check and be aware
when something new has been published on one of them.
The idea is really simple.
- You have an XML file that contains a list of blog.
- A script will analyze all RSS path from the XML and check if there is something news since x days or hours.
- If yes a notification will be displayed.
How does it work ?
Three things to do:
- Complete the XML with the list of blogs to check, days to check, notification type, logo...
- Choose the kind of notification you want to display, by filling the
- The action should be to create a scheduled task that will run the script. For instance a daily scheduled task.
Complete the XML
Proceed as below to fill the XML:
- Copy the SD_Blog_News folder in c:\ProgramData
- Choose the number of days to check in the Config\DateToCheck node. For instance if you type 1, it will check for blog posts new than 1 day.
- Choose the kind of notification to display (see below to understand).
- Type the blog or site name in the Name node
- Type the blog link in the Path node
- Type the RSS path of the site in the RSS node
- If needed, choose a logo to display for each blog and copy them in the Logos folder
- Add the logo name with extension in the Logo node in the XML file