Official Release of the SCOM Management Pack Creator V2.0
Here is the second version of my SCOM Management Pack Creator Script.
For those not familiar of this solution, this is a PowerShell script which can write out an entire SCOM Management Pack in XML Format and formatted in its correct layout, which can then be imported in a Visual Studios SCOM Management Pack project.
This can build a SCOM Management Pack within 1 minute!
The purpose of this was that there are alot of customizations which cannot always be done mainly through the console. Also in Visual Studios using the VSAE tool you will find that the template files can also conflict and doesnt provide you freedom enough
to change and add certain paramerters, so this allows you to see the simplicity of each part and component of the management pack, but also to understand and read the raw XML format of a SCOM Management Pack
There has been some great improvements from the first release, and have included the release notes of both versions to give an idea on the structure of the improvements made on each one
Feedback on this would be greatly appreciated to see how well it works as well as any additions and any improvements which can be made for the third release which also have further enhancements to it.
The guide on how to use this can be download here:
SCOM Management Pack Creator Guide.docx
Version 1.0 Release Notes
- XML Output - Creates an XML output file for each individual part of the SCOM Management pack being the Class, Discovery, Folders, Views, Monitors & Rules
- Classes Creation - Can create a new class, properties for classes and also run as accounts
- Discoveries Creation - Create a discovery using either PowerShell, VBScript, Registry or WMI
- Create Monitor - Create the Windows Event Two State Monitor
- Create Rule - Create the Windows Event Rule
- Create Views - Create the following views; State View, Alerts View, Overrides and Events View
- Create Folders - Create folders for where you can place other folders and views for your SCOM Management Pack
Version 2.0 Release Notes
- Dynamic Class Detection - Can now dynamically detect all of the classes which you had created within the wizard and provides a numerical list option to select from when creating discoveries, monitors, rules or any additions to your SCOM Management Pack
- Create All Views in SCOM - This now includes comments which give a breakdown on how to perform criteria filtering on views so that you can customize even further. So now you can create URL Views, Task Status Views, Performance and Dashboard views
- Create Relationships - Now when you create multiple classes you can now create relationships between them to link them together
- Create More Monitors/Rules - The first release was only the Windows Event Monitor but now you can create Event Monitors, Service Monitors, Service Performance Monitors (CPU & Memory), PowerShell Script Rule, Performance Rules and Event Rules
- List Selectios - The questionnaire wizard has been simplified more so you dont have to worry about typing in manual entries or formatting which can cause Visual Studio build issues
- Create Monitors Based on PowerShell - You can now create a Monitor which runs on a PowerShell script using the Custom Probes, Data Sources and Unit Monitor Types
- Reload Management Pack Function - You can now use this function which can load your entire SCOM Management Pack you created with the script and gives you a list of options where you can add addtional classes, discoveries, views, folders, monitors and rules
to your SCOM Management Pack
- Alert Parameters and Suppressions - You can now utilise Alert Parameters to customize your alert messages and also suppression parameters for rules